Re: Virtual network interfaces

From: Predrag Zecevic - Support Engineer
Subject: Re: Virtual network interfaces
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:58:21 +0100

Jerry Christopher wrote:

For reference, we've been on 1.6.3 for a couple years now and have had zero issue with Cfengine and logical interfaces on Solaris 7 or 8. Predgrag, can you provide a little more about your config files and how you're trying to set things up? What are you trying to do?

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

well this was even first start of 'cfagnet -vq'!
It just stopped with error mentioned earlier (it never stops on boxes which also have up to 5 virtual interfaces)...

So, what conf files could be involved if cfagent stopped BEFORE reading of any files with any rules?

I am not sure which conf file you need - please suggest.

Idea was to have ONE /etc/inet/hosts file on MASTER host, and ALL host have to use this, parse and set rows if class evaulates to true.. Why? Because some of host use virtual interfaces - some not. Because I want to have ONLY one (template) hosts table to manage. Because then I can check if virtual network interface is up and running. Because I can check for presence and content of /etc/hostname.*:x files.

So,

  1. Master host keeps original copy of file
  2. Client host checks local copy of it (NOT /etc/inet/hosts)
  3. If master copy is changed, cfagent should update its copy, they
     pass through editfiles session (triggered by update) and
     remove/add/replace something and THAN place result on /etc/inet/hosts

Examples on request.

Thanks and regards ;-)

--
Predrag Zecevic | e-Mail: Predrag.Zecevic@2e-Systems.COM
2e Systems GmbH |              Tel: (+49)[0]6192 978 475