Re: rc.d links in SuSE

From: Alexander Mattausch
Subject: Re: rc.d links in SuSE
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:33:04 +0200

Chip Seraphine schrieb:

Well, right. But since being able to predict the names of the links is necessary to use convergence efficiently, that's quite a problem.

So far I've just been making my local init stuff insserv-friendly and using cfengine to schedule a periodic running of chkconfig. This has none of the advantages of convergence (i.e. it runs wether or not it needs to run, and it runs at a preset time instead of as soon as the need is detected) but it works.

I just had an idea: what about something like this:

groups:
have_cfengine_init = ( 'chkconfig -c cfengine 3 && chkconfig -c cfengine 5' )

shellcommands:
 !have_cfengine_init::
   "chkconfig -a cfengine"

If I understood you right this should add the links only when necessary without fooling with the SuSE scheme of installing init scripts.

BTW, if your also running Debian you might be interested in /usr/lib/lsb/install_initd and /usr/lib/lsb/remove_initd. These scripts exist on both systems and are working the same way (and have to according to LSB).

I'm finding that SuSE is a great desktop Linux, but it sure doesn't like it when you don't do things the SuSE way.

I have to agree. As long as you work with it and not against it, it's a very good distribution.

Alex