Re: Configuration Nightmare

From: Ed Brown
Subject: Re: Configuration Nightmare
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:54:38 -0600

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 15:50, Luke A. Kanies wrote:
> However (and I probably should have covered this in the article; live and
> learn), you must use the server's short name; cfengine treats the '.'
> character as an AND, so in the above snippet, 'cfengine_server' only gets
> set if 'my' and 'server' and 'fqdn' is set.

There is a delay of hours sometimes before I see posts to this list -
don't know why (I still haven't seen my first reply to this thread).  So
I apologize if I'm repeating things others have said.

Anyway, I just tested this (2.1.6), and it looks to me like
period-separated FQDN's are fine in the group definitions (lvalues).
Luke is right that they don't work as class names themselves.  (Neither
of course do hyphens, which are also fine in the hostname lists.)

(As the 'latticework of coincidence' would have it, I was working on
rewriting multiple classes files for different networks with simple
hostnames, as one classes file with FQDN's, when Luke's post came in.
It certainly got my attention.)

-Ed