Re: how do you combine cfengine and rcs/cvs/subversion?

From: Jamie Wilkinson
Subject: Re: how do you combine cfengine and rcs/cvs/subversion?
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 08:57:07 +1000

This one time, at band camp, ebrown@lanl.gov wrote:
>And if using a
>Makefile, as Jamie suggests, a first and required target should be a cvs
>diff, that aborts if what is in the working directory does not match what
>is in the repository.  Otherwise, it is entirely possible to rsync changes
>that have not been committed.

That's a feature at our site ;-)  It's helpful to be able to roll out
prospective changes and test them on one server between our half-hour
cfengine runs because we don't have a sophisticated test environment.

>Even with this check, it is possible to
>have committed changes that have not been rsync-ed.

The dependency on the "update" target in my makefile ensures that the latest
revisions are in your working copy before rolling out, and if that fails due
to conflicts the rollout doesn't occur.

--
jaq@spacepants.org                           http://spacepants.org/jaq.gpg