RE: building configuration files on server

From: Wheeler, John
Subject: RE: building configuration files on server
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:59:05 -0500

> We have a lot of configuration files that we would like to build on
> the server before copying them out to the clients with cfengine?  Is

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I think you mean that you have some data
that you like to apply some rules or policy to and create some cfengine
configs. I suppose you could use cfengine to generate cfengine *code*, but I'm
sure, like most people, you have collection of configs and data tangled
together that you would like to separate.

I've seen some interesting solutions to this from other people on the list,
some use thing like m4, others just straight perl. I've recently started to
investigate xslt with an xml data model and had some success.

> there any sane way to do this from cfengine itself?  With tests for
> updatedness?

Make cfagent -p a check before the file is made available, either by checking
it into some version control system, or simply placing it in the proper
location for cfservd to serve, then rely on cfservd to determine [sic]
updatedness.

> I'm using cfengine 2.0.9 on Debian testing.

upgrade... It will make life easier.