Re: How to use regex in editfiles?

From: Frank Smith
Subject: Re: How to use regex in editfiles?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:13:08 -0500

--On Wednesday, September 01, 2004 22:15:59 +0200 Josef Wolf <jw@raven.inka.de>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 04:26:54AM +0200, Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:
>> On 31 Aug, Wil Cooley wrote:

>> Frank is right that, for historical reasons, the available functions,
>> the names and the behaviours are a bit inconsistent.
>
> No, they are not.  The "Containing" functions all use strings while
> the "matching" functions all use regex.  I don't see any inconsistency
> here.

My point about inconsistancy was not about 'Containing' itself, but
the fact that various edit functions offered different subsets of
'Containing', 'Matching', and 'StartsWith'.

My personal preference would be to just have the 'Matching' regexp
construct and  be able to do the others by using (or not using)
the anchors and wildcards in the regexp.  But as Mark pointed out,
you can't change syntax without breaking current setups.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith@hoovers.com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673