Re: Killed wrong proc!

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: Killed wrong proc!
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:48:00 -0500

Because the restart command will not run unless I send either a TERM or a
KILL, according to the reference.  'tis a hackaround.  I could have it set a
class and then let shellcommands execute the restart, but that is even
kludgier.

It would be nice if we could say signal=dorestart or something like that to
clue cfengine that we want to execute the restart line without sending a
signal.  (Or just allow signal 0 along with TERM and KILL, perhaps.)

Given that I have to send a signal, the reason for saying "restart" instead of
"start" is that some Linux init scripts (esp with RedHat and SuSE) sometimes
clean up pidfiles and such, IIRC.  Doing a restart instead of a start makes
you less likely to run into ugliness.  The postfix script is not one of
these, but it can't hurt.