Re: cfengine config files location

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: cfengine config files location
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:18:07 +1000 (EST)

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004, Hauke Fath wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:14:55 +1000 (EST) Tim Nelson wrote:

/etc/cfengine/master: cfengine configuration files to be rolled out

Please consider sticking with the default of /var/cfengine. This is more
appropriate than /etc, since the directory is written to quite
frequently.

Just to clear things up, I'm not suggesting that we change /var/cfengine to anything else. I'm suggesting that we keep all of it right where it is. It's just fine for everything it does.

The one thing we don't have is a standardised location for the master cfengine files. For example, I use /var/cfengine/clients/inputs at the moment.

Apologies for being Linux centric in the following example, but I don't have access to the appropriate information for other systems. If they differ from the Linux example below, perhaps someone could provide some additional information.

---------------------
From the Linux FHS:

/var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary files.

The /etc hierarchy contains configuration files. A "configuration file" is a local file used to control the operation of a program; it must be static and cannot be an executable binary.
---------------------

        In the above, I admit to being unsure what "static" means.

---------------------
From Linux's "man hier":

       /etc   Contains configuration files which are  local  to  the  machine.
              Some larger software packages, like X11, can have their own sub-
              directories below /etc.  Site-wide configuration  files  may  be
              placed  here  or  in  /usr/etc.   Nevertheless,  programs should
              always look for these files in /etc and you may have  links  for
              these files to /usr/etc.

       /var   This  directory contains files which may change in size, such as
              spool and log files.

To summarise, I'd be saying that /var is logging, cache, and spool things, whereas /etc is configuration.

So all the stuff currently in /var/cfengine pretty much belongs there (input/output cache/logs and the like), but the master configuration belongs in /etc.

Naturally, feel free to provide us with more information or interpretation.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator