RE: Ordering and cfengine 3 (was RE: Is this quirky for a simplecopy, ed

From: Moore, Joe
Subject: RE: Ordering and cfengine 3 (was RE: Is this quirky for a simplecopy, editfiles operation?)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 14:24:10 -0400

Quoting Ed Brown:
> Wouldn't Brendan's idea of multiple passes, well, converge
> quicker, than
> waiting for multiple runs of cfengine to catch up with
> 'uncleared' class
> definitions?

Well, yes, it would be quicker to have cfengine make multiple passes,
but then you get into the question of "how many" passes are required...
(answer: if there are N uncleared class definitions, it may take N
passes)  My main point was that theoretically, nothing breaks by
stopping at 2 passes, or even 1 pass.

An obvious optimization could be to continue running until no class is
undefined in that pass (and/or up to a configured numerical limit.)

--Joe