Autodefine/cfengine 3

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Autodefine/cfengine 3
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 10:20:06 -0500

Another idea: I think autodefine functionality should be built in
to all actions by default. Thus, editing /some/file might result in
the class editfiles_some_file being defined (without the need to use
DefineClasses) and copying something to /some/file might result in the
class copy_some_file being defined.

This would allow a more event-driven programming style, and enforce
standard naming conventions, which would make reading cfengine policy
easier.

Concurrently, class (and maybe macro) namespaces could be investigated.
I have never liked the idea that a host named linux.example.com would
have the "linux" class defined (even if it was running some other
operating system). In a big site, those kind of things can bite you.