Re: Problems with .local in Mac OS X computer names

From: rader
Subject: Re: Problems with .local in Mac OS X computer names
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:04:26 -0500

I've seen the .local suffix mysteriously appear: the
problem has always been that AppleTalk was turned on, but
no AppleTalk zone was available at boot time.  (The default
AppleTalk zone is "local", IIRC.)

So perhaps your system erroneously has AppleTalk turned on, and
it could be turned off?  Or if you use Appletalk, perhaps the
system booted without the network, and thus a reboot or toggle
of the AppleTalk service will do?

steve
- - -
systems & network manager