RE: User management

From: Eric Sorenson
Subject: RE: User management
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2005, Martin, Jason H wrote:

> Are you sure you want to do this with CFEngine instead of via something
> like LDAP?

Yes LDAP. Then you can have your local accounts and eat 'em too.

> An editfiles block for /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow would probably work.

We used to do this but it's really, really bad.  There were lots of
ways that it failed, often leaving 0-length shadow files, which
completely hosed the machines.

--
 - Eric Sorenson - N37 17.255 W121 55.738 - http://eric.explosive.net -
 - Personal colo with a professional touch - http://www.explosive.net -