Re: editfiles methodology question

From: Mark Burgess
Subject: Re: editfiles methodology question
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:37:14 +0100

Michael - cfengine doesn't care and makes no policy on this.
I don't really care, but I see that using fully qualified names as host
names breaks several principles in CS. You apparently care.

All I will say is that if one makes certain choices one has to live with
the conseqeunces and that might make it harder to do what you want.

Your questions are all explained in the documentation. Cfengine
classifies both qualified and unqualified names, as it understands them.
But the harder you make it for cfengine to distingush between
qualified and unqualifed names, the harder it is to try to do the right
thing when users write ambiguous values.

You're flogging the wrong horse here. If cfengine is broken, it is not
because of names. This discussion started because someone had defined
the fully qualified name as the hostname and could therefore not find
the unqualified name -- that is because it no longer exists.