Re: editfiles merging?

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: editfiles merging?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:33:54 -0600

Joe Buehler wrote:

> Are editfiles stanzas affecting the same file merged into a single
> operation on the file? Or is the file edited several times in a run?

I believe all stanzas are merged into a single operation. If this were
not the case, convergent editing would be difficult (at the very least,
timestamps would be continually and unneccessarily updated).

Because of this merging, I consider it good style to end all stanzas
with CatchAbort, otherwise edits of the same file in separate cfengine
input files can affect each other (which most people do not expect).
It has been a while since I tested this though, so take it as informed
superstition.

Best,
Brendan

--