Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment

From: Chris Kacoroski
Subject: Re: cfengine Mac packages, universal binaries, and mass deployment
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:36:11 -0800

Jason,

I have pushed cfengine out to 1500 macs. The only way was to touch each one by hand as the Mac has no package management (this was talked about in the Apple Guru talk at LISA'05 -- Apple is working on a package management system for the future). Since we had timbuktu on most machines, we hired a person who just installed a cfengine installer that we created. The installer was a self extracting archive that:

- setup the cfengine keys with the server
- installed the basic cfengine  binaries
- ran cfengine 3 times to complete the machine configuration.

cheers,

ski

Jason Edgecombe wrote:
Hi,

I've been running cfengine on about 50 Mac's running OS 10.3 (Panther) for at least 6 months now. We also have lots of mixed distro linux boxen.

Various forces have aligned as to push the cfengine Mac deployment to the top of my todo list. BTW, I work at a university. I would guestimate that we have 200-400 Mac's to deploy to.

I'd like to hear the experience of others who have done mass-deployment of cfengine on Mac's before.

These are unmanaged Mac's. Most were installed from an image, but no management hooks are in place now. apple Remote Desktop/remote login is not an option because it isn't enabled on most.

The Plan:
The plan is for myself and an handful of co-workers and student workers to touch each machine and install cfengine. Installing by hand on the command-line isn't really an option because of the skill-levels involved. I plan to create a Mac-installable pkg file that can be double-clicked and will perform the install.

I'm looking for any advice that anyone may have, from creating the package to deployment. We have a working set of cfengine inputs, so that isn't a big problem. I also have a working cfengine rev .14 binary. I figure that is well tested and I can upgrade later.

I don't currently have any Intel Mac's, but has anyone played with cfengine on any of the new Intel Mac's? Has anyone create cfengine as a universal binary? Any advice on these things would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Edgecombe