Re: standalone cfagent script execution

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: standalone cfagent script execution
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:39:46 GMT

Peter Daum <gator_ml@yahoo.de> writes:
> I guess, my question was not clear enough.What I meant by
> "standalone", is:
>
> Cfengine is a fairly big framework for automating system
> administration. What I would like, is to use just the
> script-processing part from cfagent without the environment that it
> normally expects to read some commands from a file and execute them
> without worrying about host keys or anything else that is not part
> of the script to be executed - sort of a fancier "sed" or "awk".

As per my other reply (indicating that the #! convention for scripts
works perfectly well)...  Sure, such scripts don't need to have host
keys and such set up.

> (In my case, it would mostly be called as a utility tool for
> configuration file editing and similar stuff and running from a shared
> NFS root file system, so creating any files/directories would not be
> acceptable.)

If you run cfengine as a user, it likes to log some things in
~/.cfagent.  It throws the hostname in, e.g., creating
~/.cfagent/cfengine.dba2.runlog, which is hopefully acceptable...
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ca.afilias.info")
<http://dba2.int.libertyrms.com/>