a more specific question

From: paul beard
Subject: a more specific question
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 12:49:06 -0800

Taking the advice of many of you, I am breaking my cfengine experiments into smaller chunks. Right now, I have it working reliably on the machine I plan to use as my policyhost. I am doing simple operation like file ops (changing permissions, for example).

But since i will eventually be deploying this over a fleet of Linux systems, I am experimenting with classes. What seems to be happening is that if I specify a class that isn't in my cfengine binary's understanding, the script exits without doing anything. For instance, if I want permissions changed on a file in the freebsd class and only use that class in cfagent.conf, it works. If I add a stanza for linux systems, the freebsd changes don't get made.

files:
  freebsd::
  /etc/sudoers mode=440 owner=root group=wheel   action="">
  /etc/passwd mode=644  owner=root group=wheel   action="">
  /etc/hosts  mode=644  owner=root group=wheel   action="">
  linux::
  /etc/shadow mode=640  owner=root group=root action="">
  /etc/sudoers mode=440 owner=root group=root   action="">
  /etc/passwd mode=644  owner=root group=root   action="">
  /etc/hosts  mode=644  owner=root group=root   action="">

That's going to matter to me, so I am curious if I am doing something out of the ordinary.

In the process of breaking this down, I somehow mucked up key exchanges/authentication, but perhaps that's just as well, to keep me from getting ahead of myself.

And does anyone have any tips on compiling cfengine for Mac OS X.4? If I can get that compiled, I can experiment on my home systems rather than muck about in boxes that are co-located. there is a cfengine port in the darwinports collection[*]

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/opt/local/include/db4
-I/opt/local/include  -I/opt/local/include -g -O2 -Wreturn-type
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wuninitialized  -g -O2 -I/opt/local/include/db4   -g -O2
-I/opt/local/include/db4 -MT init.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/init.Tpo" -c -o init.o
init.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/init.Tpo" ".deps/init.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/init.Tpo"; exit
1; fi
In file included from init.c:33:
cf.extern.h:73: error: array type has incomplete element type
make[2]: *** [init.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
Error: Target com.apple.build returned: shell command "cd
"/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports_sysutils_cfengine/work/cfengine-2.1.13"
&& make all ps_DATA=" returned error 2

--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?