help-debbugs

Re: telling the tracker *not* to create a bug ID?

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: telling the tracker *not* to create a bug ID?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:20:52 +0200

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Jim Meyering wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to tell the tracker not to create a bug ID
>> for a given message/thread?
>
> I don't think there is a mechanism for this. If you remember the way
> it is set up, bug-coreutils mail is re-routed to address@hidden There
> is no way to send mail there without creating a bug.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have been more clear.
I would like to avoid having to close the non-bug,
so if there is a way to create a bug in the "closed"
state, that should do the job.

Is that easier?

> You could turn this re-routing off, then mail sent to bug-coreutils
> would not create a bug ID. People would have to manually send things
> to address@hidden with a "Package: coreutils" line.
>

> It might be possible to add the feature you ask for to debbugs, but to
> use it you would have to remember to mark your messages in some way to
> say "not a bug". And if you have to do that, I think it is much easier
> to simply send to the non-bug- coreutils address instead. And I can't
> see how it would work for replies, unless everyone marked their
> message in the same way, which seems unlikely to work reliably.
>

> Perhaps the FSF admins could make the bug-coreutils router rule more
> complex, so that messages satisfying some criterion you specify got
> passed through as is, rather than re-routed to address@hidden You'd
> have to ask them. Or maybe if you have an alias to bug-coreutils,
> using that address would bypass the router rule? I don't know. Again,
> seems like it might be complex and/or fragile.
>

>> I have been posting patches to bug-coreutils, and it is
>> annoying to have to mark each as "done".  Recently I simply
>> posted to the non-bug- address, but that's ugly, too.
>
> Why is it ugly - I thought you created the non-bug- address for just
> such purposes?

The hope was to migrate questions and other non-bug/non-patch
mail to the other list.

> Have you considered having an automated coreutils-diffs list?
> I believe Savannah can activate that for you fairly easily.

Yes, that is a possibility, but so far (already, two lists may seem
like too many) it doesn't seem warranted.