help-flex

Re: bug in flex using g++-3.0

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: bug in flex using g++-3.0
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 08:29:15 -0400

> I'm having a problem compiling a large C++ program (GNU lilypond) using g++
> version 3.0.  Version 2.95 of g++ worked fine.  It appears that the problem
> is that flex generates invalid C++ code, and g++ version 3.0 is more anal
> about standards-compliance than 2.95 was.  Here are the error messages:

Yes, flex generates C++ that worked great several years ago. There are
some patches floating around and you may have good luck with
them. There is a new release of flex in the works--release date
somewhere on the nearish horizon.

> The program maintainers don't know what to do about this.  Do you think
> this actually is a flex problem?  Unfortunately the program is way too huge
> for me to reproduce this problem in a smaller form, especially since it
> isn't my program.  Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Either using patches which have been posted here or waiting for the
next release of flex might be what you want to do. If not, contact me
privately and we'll see what I can do to help out.

--Will