help-flex

Re: flex snapshot/beta

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: flex snapshot/beta
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 10:52:24 -0500

> That may be so, but until the package is downloaded, one doesn't
> know about the dependencies.

True enough.

Any cvs snapshot of flex will exhibit this dependency problem. Any release of
flex or beta release of flex will not exhibit this dependency
problem. (You can tell a cvs snapshot because it will have the string
"snapshot" in its filename and a beta release or release will be of
the form flex-<versionnumber>.tar.gz)

> Autoconf (2.53) says:

Currently, I'm using autoconf 2.13 but this will change soon so the
whole point may be moot.

> checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
> Perl 5.00503 required--this is only version 5.00502, stopped at -e line 1.
> configure: error: Perl 5.005_03 or better is required
>
> "-e"?! looks like yet another autoconf bug...

perl is several versions beyond the ones mentioned here. Does your
platform not have access to recent code?

> > What platform are you working on?
>
> UWIN. (see http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/)

This kind of thing is always hard. Windows is so broken that it
requires a severe amount of hoop jumping to get it to act
reasonably. and then "reasonably" is more minimal than most of us
would like. My personal philosophy on windows variants is that since
they are so non-standard and proprietary, I put fixing
windows-specific problems on a lower rung.

Thanks,

--Will