help-flex

Re: Info pages

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Info pages
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:00:56 +0100

 > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Akim Demaille wrote:
 >> The Flex info pages of 2.5.31 are poor:
 > [...]

 > Wrong on all counts.  Look at your displayed "info page" again, and you'll
 > find that it's actually the *man* page you're looking at, which is what
 > 'info' does if it can't find an info page for the requested topic.  The
 > actual info pages have none of the problems you're complaining about.

Really?

 > Time to fix your info installation?

I'm referring to the flex.info file from Debian.  Indeed, as you have
noticed, the problem I mentioned is that there are banners from man
pages.  Guess why... Because the info page was generated from the man
pages.

~/src/tc % dpkg -S /usr/share/info/flex.info.gz
flex-old: /usr/share/info/flex.info.gz
~/src/tc % zgrep '2\.5' /usr/share/info/flex.info.gz
This manual documents `flex'.  It covers release 2.5.
     Version 2.5               December 1994                        18
     Version 2.5               December 1994                        44
     2.5 release, these defines would be 2 and 5 respectively).

Now, it may happen that the current CVS info pages no longer have this
problem, but rest assured that when I mean info pages, I know what I
mean.  I would be most delighted to receive a copy of the latest
release, so that I can check that I'm

  > Wrong on all counts.

Where is it?  Can I browse it by http?