help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] accept option arguments (even in enum)

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] accept option arguments (even in enum)
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:47:31 +0200

Papp Gyozo (VBuster) wrote:
Hi there,

long time was passing by since my last mail. It actually means the current
version suffices our needs quite very well. Actually it is a good piece of
work! Congratulation.

thanks a lot!
this kind of emails always makes me happy :-)

Now we have run into a problem. gengetopt denies special characters (ie.
symbols like '-' or '+') in enum option values and in default values as well
suspectedly.

We would like to have a filter option which filters out/in the specified type
of records. We thought it was quite natural to do it in the following way:

option "filter" f "include or exclude the given type in case of leading '-' or '+', respectively."
    multiple enum
    values="-unspecified","-ok","-incompatible","-missing","-other",
           "+unspecified","+ok","+incompatible","+missing","+other",
           "problematic","all"
    default="problematic"
    optional

What do you think? gengetopt should enable symbols in enums or should we
rephrase our idea? Please note that this option is multiple enum, so the real
strength of this approach that custom mixed filter definitions can be described
this way:

--filter=+other,-missing

well I think this would be feasible without any problem!
My only concern is the literals used for the actual C enum values: + and - are not valid characters, so these characters should be translated in the C enum...

something like

enum { filter_MINUS_UNSPECIFIED, filter_PLUS_OK, ... }

what do you think?  Or do you have any other suggestion?

cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net