help-global

Help using exhuberant ctags as a parser

From: Bobby Nations
Subject: Help using exhuberant ctags as a parser
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 10:58:15 -0500

Hello,

I would like to use global to generate an HTML site of some COBOL code
in my organization.  My plans were to use the exhuberant ctags as the
parser since it will parse COBOL code and then use htags to generate the
HTML files.  I've followed the suggestions in the tutorial for plugging
in another parser, but it doesn't seem to be working.  Here's output
from my ksh session. (Note, I'm using a local copy of ctags that I
compiled myself after downloading from sourceforge).

% cp ~/bin/ctags ~/bin/ctags-exuberant
% GTAGSLABEL=ctags-exuberant; export GTAGSLABEL
% gtags
% ls -l G* | awk '{printf( "%d\t%s\n", $5, $9 )}'
16384   GPATH
0       GRTAGS
0       GSYMS
0       GTAGS
%

The only file with anything in it is the GPATH file.  I can get ctags to
work using "ctags *.cob" with no problems, and it creates a very largs
tags file.

Whenever I run the htags program, it creates a bunch of html files that
don't show anything at all.  No source code, no tags, no anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Bobby Nations