help-global

Re: global -u : update tags

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: global -u : update tags
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 00:08:56 +0200

"Shigio YAMAGUCHI" <address@hidden> writes:

>> The one in debian squeeze (stable).
>>
>> 5.7.1
>
> It is a version three years ago. It cannot understand 'gtags.files'.
> It seems that you are reading the manual of a different version.
>
>> but as I say, all I want to do is configure the type of files tagged by
>> global - something I assume is possible even on an older global?
>> If its not possible to tell global to only tag certain file types, then
>> of course I can look into moving to a new version but would prefer not
>> to if avoidable - but I suspect it is possible and I am missing
>> something in the manual since it seems such a basic configuration
>> requirement for any tagging system.
>
> I have already answer to it.

If I could just bump this : I cant find any answer than "langmap" and
that doesnt seem to work for me. I am using the default langmap and that
says

:langmap=c\:.c.h,yacc\:.y,asm\:.s.S,java\:.java,cpp\:.c++.cc.cpp.cxx.hxx.hpp.C.H,php\:.php.php3.phtml:

so why when I save an .el file in my .emacs.d why is global -u taking 3
minutes?

This is with the debian stable global and the latest compiled from
source.

I dont want to use gtags.files as the new files wont be tagged.

It seems a very common requirement to only update tags using files of a
certain type - in this case .el files- and to my shame I cant seem to
make it work. Surely an example is possible?