help-global

Re: What is 'symbol' and its uses?

From: Shigio YAMAGUCHI
Subject: Re: What is 'symbol' and its uses?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 21:30:04 +0900

Hello,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 16:39:04 +0800
Leo Liu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am confused by the meaning of 'symbol' as found in 'man global'. In
> particular, the output from 'global -c' and 'global -cs'.
>
> How should they differ? I am using GNU global with a java project but I
> am new to Java.

GLOBAL classifies all symbols into three, that is, definitions, references
and other symbols.

Reference (-r option) means the reference to a symbol which has definitions.
Other symbol (-s option) means the reference to a symbol which has no
definition.

For example:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------
|int func0() {           <= definition (not referred to)
|}
|int func() {            <= definition (referred to)
|}

|        func();         <= reference (func is defined)
|        func1();        <= other symbol (func1 is not defined)
+-----------------------------------------------------------------

Global works like follows:

$ global -c
func
func0
$ global -cr
func
$ global -cs
func1
$ global -crs
func
func1

> Also, does 'global -r TAGNAME' include definitions in the results? If so
> can I exclude them?

No, it doesn't.

The description in 'man global' seems to be bad. I'll rewrite it.

Shigio
--
Shigio YAMAGUCHI <address@hidden>
PGP fingerprint: D1CB 0B89 B346 4AB6 5663  C4B6 3CA5 BBB3 57BE DDA3