help-global

Re: Jumping to tags definition

From: Shigio YAMAGUCHI
Subject: Re: Jumping to tags definition
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 12:16:35 +0900

Hi,
If a symbol is defined in one place, gtags.el jumps to the point of
the definition directly. But it is defined in two or more places,
gtags.el shows the list of definitions. There is no way to change it.

If you accept vim editor, gtags.vim behaves as you think. Though
it also makes a list of definitions, it jumps to the first entry directly
by default.

Shigio

On 2014-02-07 09:04 +0800, Jai Dayal wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am coming from ctags, but I'm finding some of the ctags inaccuracies
> annoying. I also use Ctags/Gtags inside of emacs.
>
> One thing I like about ctags + emacs though is that when I do find-tag, it
> actually visits the file that contains the definition, and puts the cursor
> at that point. I can also do this so the file is visited in another window.
>
> With gtags, it seems to take the cscopes approach in that it creates a list
> of matches from which I have to select. Is there any way to have it just
> automatically jump?

There is an alternative emacs front-end ggtags.el¹ that should do what
you want. Open an issue² if it doesn't.

HTH,
Leo

Footnotes: