[Help-glpk] Packaging GLPK and shared libraries

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: [Help-glpk] Packaging GLPK and shared libraries
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 12:11:40 -0500

Hello,
Recent development versions of GNU Octave (www.octave.org) have included functions that link to GLPK. I have been involved in packaging Octave for Fedora Linux, and I'm working on packaging GLPK since it is now a dependency of octave. In searching the archives of this mailing list, and looking at the Debian packages of GLPK, I have come to the following conclusions (please correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Originally, the GLPK code was not re-entrant, and therefore generating a shared library was not an option. 2. This is no longer true of more recent versions of GLPK, so it could theoretically be done now. 3. Patches for building shared libraries have been posted to this mailing list, but not incorporated into the sources.

I can write scripts to build shared libraries (which is preferred--it would be the only one of the many libraries octave depends on that is statically linked), but I'm wondering if there is any reason I shouldn't. Why is it not supported by default in the sources? Why does Debian still build only static libraries?

regards,
Quentin Spencer