Re: [Help-glpk] reporting active and processed nodes

From: Andrew Makhorin
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] reporting active and processed nodes
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:35:46 +0300

Hi Brady,

> For MILP problems, the show_progress routine currently shows the number
> of active nodes (tree->a_cnt) and the number of "removed" nodes
> (tree->t_cnt - tree->n_cnt).  This doesn't give information about the
> total number of nodes so far.

Why not? Formally, only active nodes have a sense, because they
correspond to subproblems, which have to be solved; inactive nodes
play only a technical role and they are not needed for b&b, i.e.
in principle, we could have only the set of active nodes.

> I would like to see either the number of "processed" nodes (tree->t_cnt
> tree->a_cnt) or the total number of nodes (tree->t_cnt).
>
> How would you feel about reporting this number, either in addition to or
> instead of the number of "removed" nodes.

Maybe it would be better just to report all three numbers (a_cnt,
n_cnt, and t_cnt)?

Andrew Makhorin