Re: [Help-glpk] Re: GLPK MingW build files and PyGLPK

From: Luiz M. M. Bettoni
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Re: GLPK MingW build files and PyGLPK
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:30:31 -0300

At 26/11/2009 14:35, Andrew Makhorin wrote:
Under cygwin gcc is run with default options '-g' (that includes
debugging info into the executable) and '-O2'. On my 32-bit windows
machine I build glpk using 'make CFLAGS=-O3', and the code is about
30% faster than the one built with MSVS 2010 'cl -O3'.
I've experienced some issues using O3 cflag in past, but using O2 all looks great.

30% faster? Good. How you timed this? Testing some models using both builds (and some others, like MingW), I've seen that there is no build that runs all models in better time. Maybe in specific operations (like DB access or problem generation) it can be timed, but not in solve process (the longest task when reduce time become a problem).

A note about GUSEK: building with cygwin the binary needs cygwin dll, a little big add to the package. And, if I presume that cygwin dll is as a system prerequisite, GUSEK will not be self-portable.