Re: [Help-glpk] Mathprog > SQLite/MySQL > GNUPlot - (Graphing LP and MIP

From: Nigel Galloway
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Mathprog > SQLite/MySQL > GNUPlot - (Graphing LP and MIP results)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:57:16 +0100

Last time this came up you rejected Excel due to having too much data for a
spreadsheet. I have since created an Excel spreadsheet with two 1.5 million
datasets and plotted them in various combinations and graph types. Changing the
graph took about 7.5 secs. It is essential to use keybord commands to navigate
the changes as any mouse drag and drop did take far too long. I agree with you
that this is not a sensible use of spreadsheets, but Excel can use data in a
database as a datasource. You won't get better graphs.

Another tool I use is qtiplot. Among the graph types that can be selected here
are vector graphs (those graphs of little arrows which look like compasses in a
magnetic field). You can choose other types, but the graphs are not as good as
those produced by Excel.

If this is a business problem requiring a business solution then that solution
is probably Crystal Reports. Crystal Report is a Reporting Application that can
generate reports from various Data Sources like Databases , XML files etc.

Sadly the output from glpk is not XML, but I have a program written in Ruby
that converts csv to XML. Or it did, perhaps it will need changing for the
modified glpk csv format.

See for my dreams come true:
http://www.threedgraphics.com/tdg/enterprise/sap/crce/?gclid=CO3zso-kmKICFRM_lAodyGQpXg

and note:
Change chart properties dynamically at runtime