RE: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Manually selecting an initial interior point]

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: RE: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Manually selecting an initial interior point]
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:02:01 -0500

Most experiments that people have made on trying to "warm-start" an interior
point algorithm have failed.  That is, starting an interior point algorithm at
a close-to-optimal solution does not seem to work well - usually because the
point is too close to a "wall" and the interior point algorithms get blocked by
it.

In 2008 Jacek Gondzio publish "A New Unblocking Technique to Warmstart Interior
Point Methods Based on Sensitivity Analysis" in which he claimed some positive
results, but it would take some work to implement his refinements to the
interior point algorithm.

In your particular case, you mentioned that you did not have a basic solution.
But were there any zero's at all in the solution (more generally, were any of
the variables at their lower or upper bounds)?  If so, then you would not have
a true interior point solution and any warm-start approach would not work.

My knowledge is probably too old, but I believe that some linear programming
solvers have the ability to "crash" a basis when using the simplex algorithm:
conceptually, using other information to develop the first basis.  In your
case, it would be nice to, say, pick the largest or most significant of your
variables in your initial solution and use them to tell the solver to start
with those columns when forming the first basis.  Maybe some other GLPK user
would know how to "crash" a basis.

-Marc