Re: [Help-glpk] interfaces and platforms

From: Robbie Morrison
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] interfaces and platforms
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:48:02 +1300 (NZDT)

Hello

First up, you should register if you wish to post to
this list.  That means the maintainer does not need to
waste his time with cross-posting.

Just curious as to why you think the GLPK wikibook is
not reliable?  Our community (myself included) invest a
fair bit effort in keeping it correct and current.  Can
you point to any mistakes, for example?

If you need to cite peer-reviewed literature for some
reason, then you're pretty much outa luck.

You need to remember that GLPK is an open source
project.  We all take pride in producing good work and
providing good support.  So whilst the controls on
quality are not formal, as happens in scientific
publishing, they are, nonetheless, active and vibrant.

Maybe you could talk to your boss or supervisor and
suggest that, in this case, well maintained open source
documentation can be of high standard and should not be
unceremoniously dismissed.  Conversely, my experiences
with scientific peer-review have left me underwhelmed.

In addition, much of the academic programming I've seen
is just awful in relation to software engineering and
good practice.  In contrast, GLPK is coded to a very
high standard and is widely tested.

HTH, Robbie