Re: [Help-glpk] finding integer solutions gives seemingly infinite loop

From: John Perry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] finding integer solutions gives seemingly infinite loop
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 14:32:04 -0500

Michael Hennebry wrote on Wednesday, April 04, 2012,
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, John Perry wrote:
> >> From a previous conversation, I understand that setting upper bounds for
> >> integer solutions helps the mip preprocessor find feasible solutions
> >> for minimization problems that have no maximum. I can make this work
> >> with the systems I'm solving right now, but I'm not sure how to set a
> >> good upper bound in general.
> >
> > Is there a good rule of thumb for this?
>
> Is the corresponding max problem really unbounded?

Now that you make me think of it, it's unbounded above only in theory; the
largest I could have is machine word size. (I don't mean GLPK; this has to do
with the result, which is then fed into a non-LP algorithm.)

I tried it just now, though, and that's also too large. If I set the maximum
at 1000, I get solutions; raising it to a mere 5000 slows it down
tremendously.

I could loop the upper bounds from, say, 1000, but this seems so... CLUMSY.
Since I'm adding constraints after having solved once already, I could also
use the results from the previous solution to guess an upper bound, then go up
from there when it fails. But that also seems clumsy.

I guess I was hoping there might be a way of making an educated guess of the
upper bounds on the variables from solutions obtained by the simplex
algorithm.

regards
john perry

--
John Perry
Associate Professor

Let me seek you in desiring you, let me desire you in seeking you, let me find
you in loving you, let me love you in finding you. - Anselm