Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Help Needed]

From: Noli Sicad
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] [Fwd: Help Needed]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:48:46 +1000

> Did you mean "proprietary"? "Commercial" does not necessarily mean
> "proprietary".

Yes. "proprietary".

> Noli, please see the faq on the GPL:
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
> There are many nuances on how one can combine GPL'ed software.

We have discussion on issues on QGIS (GPL) forum. QGIS is GIS application.

Since the glpk java binding are free software distributed under the GNU GPL v3.

No question, it is all GPL.

However, if somebody releases source code /app that is LGPL, just to
interface with the interface solver (e.g. jar), then this is another
story.

GPL project + app that interface to GPL program (LGPL) + app that uses
the interface LGPL = "can be released a proprietary".

The GPL project source codes are "intacted" and also app that is
interface to GPL program as  distributed as LGPL.

It can be seen as:

GPL project + app (A) that interface to GPL program (LGPL) = GPL

App (A) that interface to GPL program (LGPL) + your code app = OK to
release as non-GPL.

Since the GPLK and Java API language binding are GPL, then scenario
mentioned above is out of the question.

Noli