Re: [Help-glpk] Variable in logical expression

From: Michael Hennebry
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Variable in logical expression
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:52:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Mate Hegyhati wrote:

For the aforementioned case the simplest solution is probably this:

u = pos - neg;
pos <= M * x;
neg <= M * (1-x);

where M is bigger than the maximum of |u|

in this case, at most one of pos or neg is positive. If neg  (u<0), then
x must be 0, if it is the pos that is positive (u>0), then x must be 1.
If both of neg and pos are 0, x can be, however, either 0 or 1.

For a tighter constraint, the two M's should be different:
one should be the upper bound on u,
the other should be the absolute value of the lower bound.

That said, upper(|u|) is better than the old standby, pick something huge.

You can also do this thing without pos and neg as well, in a form like this:

u <= 0 + M * x;
u >= 0 - M * (1-x);