Re: [Help-glpk] Invert a set-of-sets with mutually exclusive elements

From: Meketon, Marc
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Invert a set-of-sets with mutually exclusive elements
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 15:57:09 -0500

Very clever solution. Thank you.

However, having the max/min_symbolic would be less esoteric maybe more useful.

Sent from my mobile

> On May 26, 2016, at 1:58 PM, Andrew Makhorin <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Both suggestions about max/min_symbolic and the iterated concatenate
>> function would be helpful, especially the max/min_symbolic one.  One
>> of my attempts at this was to use the iterated "min" (similar to your
>> solution), but it came back with a nasty message about only working
>> for numbers, not symbols.
>>
>> In real life, the names of the pools are not Pool201 etc. but rather
>> names of companies.  Pool201 would really be, say "Xerox" and Pool203
>> would really be, say, "Apple" so doing parsing of the name would not
>> help.
>>
>> The temporary solution that I choose was to begin with the inversion
>> (begin with PoolID), and derive the other sets, but that is not the
>> natural way of looking at the data.  Like you, I've wanted to do this
>> in other situations in the past and never figured out how.
>
> The following should work (based on Heinrich's example):
>
> set POOLS := {"Pool201", "Pool203", "Pool204", "Pool205"};
>
> set x_IN_POOLS{POOLS};
>
> table foo1{pool in POOLS, x in x_IN_POOLS[pool]} OUT "CSV" "/tmp/foo":
>   pool~POOL, x~X;
>
> set All_x;
>
> param PoolID{x in All_x}, symbolic;
>
> table foo2 IN "CSV" "/tmp/foo": All_x <- [X], PoolID~POOL;
>
> display PoolID;
>
> data;
>
> set x_IN_POOLS ["Pool201"] := 234, 345, 456, 567, 678, 012, 543;
> set x_IN_POOLS ["Pool203"] := 789, 890;
> set x_IN_POOLS ["Pool204"] := 123, 901;
> set x_IN_POOLS ["Pool205"] := 987, 876, 765, 654;
>
> end;

This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential or legally privileged. If
you received this message in error or are not the intended recipient, you
prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information
contained herein.  Please inform us of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail.
Thank you for your cooperation.