PR 375 - Point 1

From: Mark Kuchel
Subject: PR 375 - Point 1
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 15:42:06 +1100

In regards to PR 375, I will deal with each of the individual points in
it seperately (i.e., each of the * points). Anything > is from the PR.

> * The login page makes no mention of needing to have cookies enabled;

The problem here under lynx is that it doesn't use javascript.  For
lynx and other browsers in that class, adding in a simple
<noscript>...</noscript> section telling them that they need cookies
turned on to work.  This also works for browsers such as netscape and
mozilla when you turn javascript off in them.

> but without cookies enabled it just redirects to another login
> page (under Netscape) or goes to a "Redirecting" page which does
> nothing (under lynx).

gnatsweb can't set any cookies so goes back to the login page.  If
netscape (or for that matter, any browser) has cookies disabled, then
it will go back to the login page. With the noscript patch mentioned
above, it shouldn't matter whether or not the user's browser has
javascript capabilities or not, they should get the message they need
to use a browser that supports cookies.  The problem with lynx and the
redirecting page is already fixed through an earlier patch of mine.
But not the problem with lynx and cookies.  I am having problems
getting lynx to work with cookies.

> The latter problem seems to be because it is trying to use
> an HTTP "Refresh" header, which is not mentioned in RFC 2616 (the
> HTTP 1.1 spec)

Yes that is true, but then again neither are cookies and they are sent
in the http headers, and the problem has been overcome.

The patch was tested with netscape 4.75, mozilla M18, lynx 2.8.4 and
konqueror from kdebase 2.0.6 from mandrake.

Note it messes up the formatting of the table at the top, but I can't
figure out why (it no longer likes the fonts, is that because of
javascript being turned off, I don't know).

Mark

| Mark Kuchel            |                                         |
| address@hidden        | www.kuchel.net                          |
| Phone: 03 9387 4668    | Mobile: 0438 650 150                    |