Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?

From: Gerald Pfeifer
Subject: Compatibility between GNATS 3.x and 4.x? gnatsweb?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:44:42 +0100 (CET)

Today I tried merging the changes since gnatsweb 2.6 into the existing
installation of GNATS 3.x and gnatsweb 2.6 (+ patches) on gcc.gnu.org.

In this case, and also when I just took vanilla gnatsweb CVS sources,
this failed to work against the current GNATS installation there:

  Error: HCPRUN500E Unrecognized command.
  Error: cannot understand ''
  Error: cannot understand ''

This means that gnatsweb CVS sources (which have some GNATS 4.0 patches)
won't work against a GNATS 3.x server, even though the README states
otherwise.

I assume that also means that gnatsweb 2.6 won't work against a GNATS 4.0
server, either, though I don't have a GNATS 4.0 server available for
testing now.

Are GNATS 3.x and 4.0 supposed to be incompatible? Or should it be
possible to update the GNATS server and keep existing clients?

That current gnatsweb CVS sources don't work against a 3.x server seems
like a bug to me, though I won't have time to address this anytime soon.

Anyone willing to help with that??

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry" address@hidden http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/