Re: Renaming categories in Gnats 3.113.1

From: Dirk Schenkewitz
Subject: Re: Renaming categories in Gnats 3.113.1
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:30:50 +0200

Hello Mr. Sullivan,

Walt Sullivan wrote:

> I'm running Gnats 3.113.1, GnatsWeb 2.9.3 on Linux. I've received
> a request to change the names of several categories. Is it as simple
> as I think? I think I can:
>
> 1. Stop the queue-pr cron job.
>
> 2. Edit the "categories" file, change "oldname" to "newname".
>
> 3. Rename the directory from "oldname" to "newname".
>
> 4. Restart the queue-pr cron job.

This changes the category names only for NEW PRs! Is that enough?
If not:
Please take a look at any existing PR: the category is written there
in clear text. So if you want to change the names of categories for
new AND existing PRs, you need to go through all existing PRs and
change the category names there, too. And then you need to rebuild
the index, I believe. I cannot make any tests right now - If I'm
wrong with anything, please, anybody correct me.

> Is it really that simple, or are there gotchas waiting to bite me?

Even if you think it is enough to change category names only for
new PRs, you likely will get bitten when someone wants to edit
an old PR. But I'm not sure on that.

happy coding
        dirk
--
Dirk Schenkewitz

InterFace AG                 fon: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 126
Leipziger Str. 16            fax: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 83
D-82008 Unterhaching
http://www.interface-ag.de   mailto:address@hidden