Re: Gnats on localhost

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: Gnats on localhost
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:55:24 -0800

Hi Aidan, ...

On 01/30/2004 05:37 AM, Aidan Delaney submitted:
Hey,
I'm trying to set gnats up on my localhost as a system for one user (I like to track my own bugs). However I don't want to set up a mail server. From the documentation I think the tools send-pr etc... will communicate directly with gnatsd, alliveating my need for a mail server. However, I am unable to get this working. Here is my error

address@hidden ~ $ sudo /usr/local/libexec/gnats/gnatsd -d tpa
422 GNATS initialization of database failed: You are not permitted to access database tpa.

(I have no database default)

Before delving into this in detail, you may want to confirm that
the 'tpa' directory along with the gnats-adm subdirectory and all
the files in it, are readable by the user with which gnatsd is
running....in your case 'root'.

If your 'tpa' directory resides on an NFS mount, the 'root' user
on your system may not have permission to read it.

Could someone please confirm for me that I can run Gnats without a mailserver and possibly give me some insight into my problem. Please reply off list as I am not subscribed.

The gnats server sends email associated with various PR activity.
A quick way to disable this is to edit the 'mail-agent'
script in the <installdir>/libexec/gnats directory, and replace
the line 'exec $MAIL_AGENT $@ > /dev/null' with something benign,
such as 'exec /bin/sh -c 'umask 0; cat > /dev/null'.

--
Mel Hatzis

--
Thank you,