Removing libiberty (was Re: gnatsd problems with 4.0.1)

From: Mike M. Volokhov
Subject: Removing libiberty (was Re: gnatsd problems with 4.0.1)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:33:33 +0200

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:09:20 -0800
"Mark D. Baushke" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Mike M. Volokhov <address@hidden> writes:
[snip]
> > So, only six functions are used by GNATS, when libiberty provides about
> > 40. Only two functions (asprintf and vasprintf) are nor POSIX nor
> > standard C relevant (but included in both GNU and BSD libc). Three
> > functions (xstrdup, xmalloc, xrealloc) are totally libiberty-own, but
> > can be easy replaced with their standard equivalents.
> >
> > Thus, I propose to eliminate dependency on libiberty completely.
> >
> > Any comments?
>
> I would suggest consideration of including the GNULIB versions of those
> functions as an alternative.

Some libiberty functions, such as getopt, was moved to GNU, BSD and
other C libraries. Many (like some x* ones) are very simple. Please try
a patch (see my another message within "Removing libiberty" topic) which
utilizes many functions from standard libc, shipped with build OS.

Another reason to use libc native to OS, is optimization.

Anyway, as for me, GNULIB is better way than have libiberty in tree.
Thanks for pointing it out!

[snip]
> The typical approach would be to create a lib and m4 directory for
> including the relevant code from a gnulib checkout directory into the
> gnats source base. There is a tool that can be used to pull into the
> gnats tree any module that GNULIB provides.

Does GNULIB provides the shared library (.so)? If so, there is would no
need to create extra directories in GNATS tree.

--
Mishka.