Re: closing spam bugs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: closing spam bugs
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 08:37:33 +0200

Hi Chad,

Thanks for your help!

* Chad Walstrom wrote on Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:51:43PM CEST:
> Ralf wrote:
> >
> > I failed to find a way to close bug reports that are spam, without
> > needlessly sending a notification message to the fake originator.
> > Did I overlook anything here?  If not, then you may view this as a
> > feature request.  :-)

> Ah-ha!  Yeah, we had this problem, too.  You have one of two options.
>
> 1) Change dbconfig to not send email to the submitter on changes.
> 2) Edit the PR first, changing the "From " and Originator fields, then
>    close.

But both of these options require login access to the host on which
gnats is running (which I don't have and need currently), right?  The
first one seems like it could be inconvenient for genuine bug reports,
the second one sounds pretty hacky to me.

So, how about a gnats+gnatsweb enhancement: add a button to the edit
page to close spam bugs; this would then not cause a mail to be written
to the reporter's email address?

Cheers,
Ralf