Error message suggestion

From: Tim Freedom
Subject: Error message suggestion
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:52:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi - I've been using Gnats on/off for awhile and continue to love it
though I constantly come across minor issues which need polishing.

If I'm required to enter a password to edit a PR (or specify it via
the GNATSDB env variable) and I for whatever reason don't note my
password (assuming I didn't know I needed to enter one),

  $ export GNATSDB="kiwi:1529:default"
  $ edit-pr 2

I simply see this output,

  pr-edit: access denied

Which doesn't really tell an end-user much beyond "rejected".
If one were to spend time to see what happened via say

  $ /usr/lib/gnats/pr-edit --debug 2

one will get,

  opening connection to kiwi
  pr-edit: received 200 `kiwi.mydomain.com GNATS server 4.1.0 ready.'
  pr-edit: writing `CHDB default'
  pr-edit: received 210 `Now accessing GNATS database 'default''
  pr-edit: received 210 `User access level set to 'view''
  pr-edit: writing `USER tft *'
  pr-edit: received 210 `Now accessing GNATS database 'default''
  pr-edit: received 210 `User access level set to 'view''
  pr-edit: received 422 `You are not authorized to perform this operation
(EDITADDR).'
  pr-edit: access denied
  pr-edit: writing `QUIT'

As you can see there is no mention of a password.  It would have been
ideal to see something akin to 'pr-edit: access denied - password rejected'
or similar, no ?  I'm sure there are other errors that are just as
ambiguous which ought to get looked into again (just a thought).

I'm on debian's sarge/stable using,

  ii  gnats          4.1.0-0
  ii  gnats-user     4.1.0-0
  ii  gnatsweb       4.00-1