Re: /usr/local/com

From: Jeremy C. Reed
Subject: Re: /usr/local/com
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:24:33 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, worik wrote:

> At this point I find that in /usr/local/etc/gnats/databases is the line
> "default:Bug database:/usr/local/com/gnatsdb".
>
> /usr/local/com/??  What is that?

Per the "Variables for Installation Directories" in the GNU Coding
Standards
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Directory-Variables.html

sharedstatedir

    The directory for installing architecture-independent data files
which the programs modify while they run. This should normally be
/usr/local/com, but write it as $(prefix)/com. (If you are using
Autoconf, write it as @address@hidden)

As an example, see many ./configure scripts that have:
  --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data
[PREFIX/com]