[Help-gnu-emacs] (no subject)

From: Sean McAfee
Subject: [Help-gnu-emacs] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:48:47 -0400 (EDT)

A while back I decided I wanted a command that would invoke replace-regexp
when called without an argument, and query-replace-regexp if called with
an argument.  Here's what I came up with:

(defun general-replace-regexp (arg)
  (interactive "P")
  (call-interactively (if (null arg) 'replace-regexp 'query-replace-regexp)))

I bound this function to M-s.  When I type M-s to invoke replace-regexp, it
works as I would expect.  The problem is that when I type C-u M-s and enter
my pattern and replacement, the pattern never matches anything, even if
text which the pattern should definitely match is present.

I can only guess that the C-u I use to invoke query-replace-regexp is
getting propagated to it somehow and altering its behavior.  Can someone
tell me 1) how this happens, and 2) how to avoid it?

Thanks in advance.

--
Sean McAfee | GCS d->-- s+++: a28 C++ US+++ P+++$ L++ E- W+ N++ |