Re: Removing Tabs with spaces while indenting

From: F. Xavier Noria
Subject: Re: Removing Tabs with spaces while indenting
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:36:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Srinivas R Chidumalla wrote:

;   But when i open the same program in Vi it shows me all the tabs.  In my
; company Conding Convention, tabs are not allowed to be used in indentation.
;
;    How can i make it work in Emacs.  I am very new to Emacs.

In general, to write code using no tab character but just spaces you may
add this line to your .emacs:

    (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

If the code has tab characters already you can replace them with spaces:

    C-x h M-x untabify RET

which replace every tab with `tab-width' spaces.

For further details read Kai Grossjohan's most informative tutorial on
this issue:

ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/tutorials/tutorials_toc.html

Regards,

-- Xavier