Re: Virtical Split & Mouse Support

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: Virtical Split & Mouse Support
Date: 11 Dec 2000 14:18:25 -0600

On 14 Kislev 5761, Donnie V. Savage wrote:

> tennis> Is there any way to use the mouse for controlling the
> tennis> location of the vertical split bar?? I would like to be able
> tennis> to adjust the split bar location with the mouse just like I
> tennis> can adjust the horizontal split bar by simply clicking on it
> tennis> and moving up or down.
>
> Tennis, it works for me. I just left click (and hold) on the bar,
> move it to where I want, and let go. I looked and the mouse key is
> defined as:
>
>       mode-line down-mouse-1 runs the command mouse-drag-mode-line:
>       Change the height of a window by dragging on the mode line.

He said the "vertical split bar."  Unfortunately all mouse clicks in
there are by default bound to scrolling (since it's a scroll bar,
pretty much, not a modeline), I think, if you use scroll-bars.

If you turn scroll bars off (M-x scroll-bar-mode), then you can drag
that.  If you have them on and you _very_ carefully drag, not on the
scroll part, but on the vertical one-pixel lines around the scroll
bar, you will get them to move the way you want.  (At least, I was
able to do so.)

If you can bind a mouse click in the scroll bar to
mouse-drag-vertical-line, then you can get it to work, but you'd have
to test to see if you had multiple vertical windows, I think.  If you
don't want to scroll ever, you might as well turn scroll-bar-mode off;
then you will be happy, I think.

,----
| vertical-line down-mouse-1 runs the command mouse-drag-vertical-line
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `mouse'.
| (mouse-drag-vertical-line START-EVENT)
|
| Change the width of a window by dragging on the vertical line.
`----

I got this off GNU Emacs 20.7, not sure about other versions.
--
Charles Sebold
--

 -- Zippy the Pinhead, 20 October 2000