Re: VM and subject lines (was: Re: [Q]VC mode)

From: Brenda J. Butler
Subject: Re: VM and subject lines (was: Re: [Q]VC mode)
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 00:36:23 -0500

Kai suggested:

> Hm.  Idea: you could put the header "Fcc: /tmp/bla" into a test
> message, then VM will write a copy of the outgoing message into the
> file /tmp/bla.  Have a close look at the file.  If that file looks
> okay, but the email itself is b0rken, then your MTA (sendmail,
> postfix, qmail, ...) must be hosing the message.

Ok, I tried this and the message looks normal in the FCC
file.

However, sending messages using the command-line /bin/mail utility
and the -s switch for the subject results in normal messages too.

I guess maybe the interface between emacs and the mailer is
messed up - perhaps my emacs variables are not set correctly?
What variables should I be looking for?  AFAICS, it is not
vm itself that hands off messages to the MTA but some pre-existing
mailing capability in emacs, and I don't know all those variables.
What lisp library should I look in?  Hmm, I see two functions
in my emacs (gnu, 20.5.1):

send-mail-using-mail
send-mail-using-sendmail

The C-h v page says each comes from the "sendmail-fix"
library, which I take to be the sendmail-fix.el or sendmail-fix.elc
file, but I don't see such a file in the /usr/share/emacs directory
(where the lisp files are).  There is a sendmail.el library.

My tags file does not exist - I may or may not be able to get
the sysadmin to make one.  Hmm, can I create a tags file that
exists in my account, but references files in /usr/share/emacs?

How can I tell which MTA my emacs is currently using?  I suppose
I should try sending mail with each one and see what happens.
exit vm
call send-mail-using-mail
re-invoke vm and send message

results in a message like this after being received: