extended Control-Char-Mode, like in vi ":se list"

From: Det
Subject: extended Control-Char-Mode, like in vi ":se list"
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:06:39 +0100

Hello all,

I think I have a simple question, normally answered with RTFM ;-)
But my problem is, that I've searched a lot in docus without result.

Question:
I assume, in emacs there is a mode to make tabs and newlines
visible,  like in vi  with the  ":se list"   option.
But how is it called,  how can it be activated ?

I need this mode urgently  in different cases, to inspect if tabs or
leading spaces are building the indentation,   and to see the exact
position where the line ends.

Thanks in advance

Dirk Detering    - aka Det