String resolution with bibtex

From: Luca Frediani
Subject: String resolution with bibtex
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:10:28 +0100 (MET)

I opened the bibtex-file listed below:

@string{amovilli = {Amovilli, Claudio} }
@string{bene = {Mennucci, Benedetta} }
@string{jpc = {Journal of Physical Chemistry}

@Article{,
title = {Self-Consistent-Field calculation of Pauli Repulsion
and Dispersion Contributions to the Solvation Free Energy in the
Polarizable Continuum Model},
author = amovilli # " and " # bene,
journal = jpc # " B",
volume = 101,
pages = {1051--1057},
year = 1997,
annote = {dispersione e repulsione quantistiche nel PCM},
collocation ={n. d.}
}

When I launched the function bibtex-clean-entry (C-c C-c) I obtained the
following error message in the minibuffer window:

Name " # ben is incorrectly formed

I set the bibtex mode with the autokey generation in such a way that the
keyword is generated from the author's names and the publication year. For
example in this case, if I put in the entry the explicit names of the
authors I get this key: AmovMen97.

I expected that during the keyword generation the program should recognise
the strings and use the correct author names.

Can anyone tell me if there is any variable to set to enable this
behaviour?

Or, if you think is a bug I will submit the bug report.

Thank you
Luca Frediani